
Problem Statement: As ridership on the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) system increases, it becomes difficult to maintain a comfortable experience for all passengers.
Purpose Statement: The purpose of this study was to research and develop a method to encourage common courtesy among BART passengers.
What on Earth does that mean? And what is the purpose of this blog?
When presented with the challenge to find a problem, and design a solution I thought about what annoys the hell out of me in this world - the decline of basic courtesy and manners in the 21st century. As with all growing and evolving cultures, ideals and expectations change. But does that mean those little rules to live by need to disappear? Those little rules that help keep people calm and civil in a fast paced world.
A perfect example of those declining courtesies and manners can be seen daily on BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit). I'm a regular rider. I love it - I don't have to deal with traffic, I can travel and get work done, I don't need to look for parking, and it's fairly inexpensive compared to how much it would cost if I had to pay for gas, toll, and parking. However, BART and the experience of riding BART does have it flaws.
In many discussions with peers, it's agreed that while BART can do much more on their part (seat and carpet cleaning, or even better vinyl seating and no carpeting). They have released concepts and plans for the future of their rail cars (some of which haven't been updated since 1972). But what good are those changes if the some passengers continue to ride with the same attitude they do today? Shoving, littering, feet on the seats, not giving up a seat for the disabled, elderly or pregnant, bags/ belongings in the aisles... the list goes on. While the overall issue itself is rooted in sociology and human behavior, as a design student I want to understand it and raise awareness. This blog will track the information and data that I gather, and show the progress to a solution.
Problem Statement: As ridership on the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) system increases, it becomes difficult to maintain a comfortable experience for all passengers.
Purpose Statement: The purpose of this study was to research and develop a method to encourage common courtesy among BART passengers.

No comments:
Post a Comment